Well, my decals are in the mail, and I’d like to have the frame done by the time it gets here. I got the right frame and some hardware to put it together at the home depot. I’ve kind of lost track of a couple of expenditures, but that was $17 for the angle iron and hardware. I’ll have to go through later and add it all up.
In any case, I don’t have a metal working shop, so I knew the fab could involve a lot of manual cutting. That being said, I grossly underestimated how difficult it would be to miter the 1 inch by 1/8 inch stock I chose for the frame.
I chose to miter this project simply because it looks better. I have a decent background in trim carpentry. I’ve hung plenty of crown moulding and installed a lot of baseboard. I even did a small amount of cabinetmaking in high school shop class, but that was nearly 10 years ago.
The miter boxes I had lying around are all plastic, and a hack saw is going to cut right into those. I wound up founding this contraption in the shed, and to my surpirse, it work fairly well.
The guide doesn’t go all the way down, but it did the trick for the most part. I had to file some of the edges down, especially the ones that got slightly off track because the guide doesn’t extend to the bottom of the stock.
Because the metal I was using was L-shaped, I had to make 8 cuts to get everything just right.
But in the end, I got this.
This thing probably represents 3 hours worth of manual sawing. I really should have changed the blades, but I got on a roll at 10:30 on a Saturday night and decided to just pull through.
Now that I have all my frame pieces cut, I can go through and put it together.
Welding this together had crossed my mind, but I’d have to borrow the equipment and grinding down the welds would weaken the final product (which will face repeated stress being pulled up and down on the hinges) and it wouldn’t have looked that good.
There are some very obvious screws on the face of the machine, so I just decided it would be easiest and fit within the period to use some L brackets on the inside and have some flathead screws that somewhat match what’s on the machine on the outside.
Basically, I’m going to take a sharpie, mark the existing holes on the L bracket, and drill at that site.
I need to borrow a drill from my dad, and He’s out running an errand right now. So I’ll get that back tonight and finish the fabrication tonight.
After that, I’ll have to figure out how I’m going to hold the monitor on to the frame. It’s actually going to be a bit trickier than I thought, but I’m sure I’ll find a way to make it work.